MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-09-2010   #1
rapedbytheeves

Drives: 1990 eagle talon tsi
Angry big problem car wont start... please help ASAP!

okay guys got a problem and ive tried looking for a solution before posting this and havent been able to find anything so here it goes... just got my 1990 eagle talon tsi about a week ago, had to replace all main brake lines, water outlet, tstat, and a few other things. the problem im having now is fuel related. the previous owner had a long wire connected to the fuel pump harness. the black with white striped wire which is the power wire i believe. it wasnt connected to anything and was just looped in he must have cut all the other wires too and did a hack job on them, before i touched them i started the car, after i cut them and rewired the harness matching the colors i tried starting... nothing, checked the wires again just to make sure and still nothing. then i cut them again striped, soldered and shrink taped em. still nothing. so i thought maybe they touched something and blew a fuse. however there are no fuses for the pump. pulled the pump out and tested to see if it was pumping and it was, put it back in and wired a 12v constant to a switch and tried running the pump that way and starting the car.... nothing. so i hooked up the harness and tested for volts. with the key on the ON position it showed about 0.08v with the car cranking it shows 7.6v-8.0v. i have spark and i believe fuel is getting to the rail. what else could it be??? if the fuel relay was shot wouldnt there be 0v to the pump? something like this happened to my girlfriends civic when the pump wasnt pushing out enough psi but it still started for about 3-5 seconds then died. my car doesnt even want to start. it just cranks. all my fuses are good checked over them twice. checked the wiring like 5 times. i cannot find anything on this on the net PLEASE HELP!!!!
rapedbytheeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #2
Pushit2.0
15min late to the world
Re: big problem car wont start... please help ASAP!

Where are you checking for voltage, the batter or some where in the car? Are you using a good ground for the volt meter? I would start at the battery, terminals and connections. Then move to the under hood fuse block then into the car.

~John
Old 05-09-2010   #3
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

bad relay?
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #4
justinhill

BetHiLow Streak Un-Censored Champion! League Bowling Champion! Snowboard Champion!
Drives: 98 gst eclipse
Send a message via AIM to justinhill

Tanner ill come over today after work and help you, Let me know if your going to be working on it.
justinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #5
rapedbytheeves

haha alright justin ill let you know when ill be home should be around 5:30, i had the battery on a charger since my battery is crap so it had good voltage, i checked power at the pump harness and yes the ground was good. i made a new ground for the switch and used that as the ground (not using a switch to power the pump just wanted to see if it would start). why wouldnt it start even if the pump was always on? it would be getting gas and had spark does it have something to do with the fuel or mpi relay?
Old 05-10-2010   #6
rapedbytheeves

okay so i was home for a total of 10 minutes today, tried starting the car again and listened to see if the pump primed, when i turn the key to the on position it doesnt do anything, when i crank the car i think i hear it pumping, but as soon as i stop cranking the motor i hear the pump prime? since its priming shouldnt the mpi and fuel relay still be good?