MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 04-15-2011   #1
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing
Twin Disc Friction Material

So, I've decided to go twin disc on my car and have been reading about the different types of friction materials used and overall attempting to become more well versed in drivetrain tech.

Reading through it I found that I really didn't know as much as I thought I did about clutches. My intent is to educate myself and others who may not know a lot about them. PTT's twin disc setup for a 1G has an option to go with a metallic or organic friction material. I have been back and forth about what I should do. Personally, there's nothing more annoying than a slipping clutch, and want to get all the power to the ground.

Now...

From what I read in this section it sounds like going with an organic disc would be more forgiving, yet more succeptable to heat soak (Which in return reduces it's ability to hold). They rate their organic disc at about 400 ft. lb. on a 7.25" disc. Where as the sintered iron metallic has a higher clamp rating (~600 ft. lb. on a 7.25" disc), but loses the forgiveness that the organic disc has.

Personally, I would rather have harsher engagement and know that the power will go to the ground, but I don't want it TOTALLY undriveable. I know it's not going to be smooth, I've driven harsh clutches before. I just want some opinons.

PTT Clutch Facts
http://www.powertraintech.com/Files/...ch%20Facts.pdf
Old 04-15-2011   #2
19TsiAwd90
2stepadepaaadepaaadep

Drives: myself crazy
Re: Twin Disc Friction Material

If you know how to drive a harsh clutch then it sounds like you answered your own question.. lol metallic sounds like the better choice for you. I think they last longer too IIRC...
^^thats what modding is about.. your own enjoyment
19TsiAwd90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011   #3
LingLing
AznKraut

Drives: '03 325i, '98 Ranger '03 Duramax
Send a message via AIM to LingLing Send a message via MSN to LingLing
Re: Twin Disc Friction Material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19TsiAwd90 View Post
If you know how to drive a harsh clutch then it sounds like you answered your own question.. lol metallic sounds like the better choice for you. I think they last longer too IIRC...
As of now I'm leaning towards the metallic discs. Maybe I did answer my own question lol.

Has anyone here had experience with an organic twin disc setup?