Old 02-09-2011   #41
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: All Sorts of Higher-Flowing fuel pumps coming onto the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Nice.

So next question: MAP made 640whp on the DW300 on a 1G rewired...peak power was at ~6300rpm. Does it take more fuel pump flow (or injector for that matter) to make 640whp @ 8000rpm vs 6300rpm?
We can usually get a little farther with a Walbro 255 HP on a DSM than a Evo(around 420awhp on an Evo versus 440-460awhp on a DSM), but it is mostly lilkely because every DSM guy has their fuel pump rewired with a big wire going directly to the battery, while almost none of the Evo guys do that.

You definately need more injector to make the same power at a higher RPM. The more RPMs, the less available time an injector has to fire before the next revolution.
Old 03-16-2011   #42
scheides
flips McGee

Interesting notes from DW:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/9158368-post284.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeatschWerks View Post
Hey Guys,

We wanted to offer some tech advice for our DW301 fuel pump based a few customers we have assisted and recent testing we've done.

Installation:

When installing the DW301 we recommend using the OE spacer and grommet/seal from the OE pump. We have tested this in an EVO 8/9 fuel pump assembly and it holds pressure to over 100psi w/o bleeding off. See picture below:

If you are removing a Walbro pump to install your DW301 and you used the o-ring provide with the Walbro kit, we DO NOT recommend re-using this on your DW pump. Replace with the OE spacer and grommet/seal. We have tested the Walbro seal on the DW pump installed in a EVO 8/9 assembly, there is some pressure loss at 50psi and massive pressure loss above 70 psi. If you don't have your OE grommet/seal, contact us and we will send you a better o-ring solution. See picture below of an alternative to the Walbro seal or OE grommet/seal:

Lastly, if upon installation you are not getting fuel pressure and the car will not start you may need to prime the system. There could be air in the system causing the pump to vapor lock. This will not always be necessary, but this is the first thing we recommend trying if you are not getting pressure. Please follow the process below:
  • Have the pump fully installed in the assembly.
  • Disconnect the fuel feed line. There are three lines on the top of the assembly; the feed line is the one furthest from the electrical connector.
  • Attach a 4 foot, or appropriate length, fuel hose to the feed line and run it to a container next to the car.
  • Turn the car over for several seconds until the trapped air is evacuated and fuel comes out of the hose.

Note: turning the key to the “on” position WILL NOT prime the pump. You must turn the car over until the air is pushed out and the is flowing. Then, re-attach the feed line and start the car.

See video below for process of priming the pump if needed. (sorry for the poor quality, we will soon have high quality install video’s on our website)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TblYEKWGruU&hd=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #43
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8klla View Post
We made 640whp I believe on Kyle's 1g with a rewire, E85 and Deatschwerks pump. We were so impressed we've got 75 on the way
Very impressive for a single pump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bleeder!! View Post
Not true, not all engines share the same BSFC.
Correct, but I would be more worried about injector timing over BSFC unless the flow really goes to shit up top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Please elaborate?
Fuel consumption will change with airflow demands and rpm. Higher airflow=more fuel requirement to maintain the same AFR. Typically peak BSFC is near peak torque rpm and a little under WOT for throttle. There are some good reads on the topic on google, particularly the engineering forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@DBPerformance View Post
We can usually get a little farther with a Walbro 255 HP on a DSM than a Evo(around 420awhp on an Evo versus 440-460awhp on a DSM), but it is mostly lilkely because every DSM guy has their fuel pump rewired with a big wire going directly to the battery, while almost none of the Evo guys do that.

You definately need more injector to make the same power at a higher RPM. The more RPMs, the less available time an injector has to fire before the next revolution.
word. I think it is hard to find a DSM that is not rewired at this point.
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #44
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I have never even seen anyone use o-rings on a pump like that or even considered it. I have had a few where the hard plastic white piece wasn't swapped along with the black OE seal and it was leaking most of the fuel back into the tank internally.
Old 05-08-2011   #45
mlomker
*Resting In Peace*

Drives: 94 Plymouth Acclaim/2008 EvoX

A flow chart for the Jay Racing "342," which is their competitor to the DW300.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JayRacingPT342.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	11582  

kracka--It's official, Lomker sucks at chicks!

Last edited by mlomker; 05-08-2011 at 01:34 PM..
mlomker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #46
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

So they posted some graph showing their pump is better?

Was there anymore info on the test?
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011   #47
scheides
flips McGee

Hrm, never saw that comparo before! Now I'm second guessing my choice of the DW300! Will interesting to see more real-world info on these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote