MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-18-2011   #21
scheides
flips McGee

Re: Turbo for DSM, that makes full boost from 4000-8500+RPMS?

Your pics don't work. Yes, an 86mm hta wheel...that turbo is legit I think it'll be laggier than you want though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotalon1g View Post
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011   #22
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

haha my graphs made in this thread twice without me

Looking back I loved my 3065 and if I get another dsm I'll look for something around the same size. From what I can remember on the street it hit 30psi by like 4.5k and it didn't hold super high (38) all the way to readline but held 31/32 just fine. I've seen them go for kind of cheaper lately and seems like a decent fit.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #23
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

If I were willing to put decent money into a setup I would do something like Brad's old turbo setup, I think it would be an awesome street/road race setup with a 2.3/2.4l.

I don't know much about the HX40 stuff. I don't get a huge amount of cars in with them and I don't build cars using junkyard turbos. New with a reasonable housing they don't seem all that cheap. The Holset stuff mostly seems to be popular with people on Tuner or the DSMLink forums, I don't see them used much on other kinds of cars or by people who aren't on those forums. The cars I have had in with them had not done any of the magic things that people claim about them online for me, typical spool and power that you would exact for that size mm wheel.

Spool up and power output of a turbo are GREATLY effected by other things on the car though. A 16G is always going to spool good unless the wastegate is stuck partially open or you have some huge leak. Something that might make a 16G spool 200 rpms slower on one car over another and barely noticable might turn into 600 rpms on a big turbo. Curt Brown's stuff always performs so well because he puts 200% effort into the little details that add up(not talking about powder coating your valve cover, shiny stuff everywhere and matching hoses) and he will on occasion run things past the edge.

Years ago when the Mutt turbo finally blew up on our hacked together hand me down parts 1G I put a basic SC61 T3 4-bolt .63 Garrett housing. It made something like 440awhp with the turbo going all out, boost controller cranked all the way up. Power seemed okay but nothing that great, car was decently fast. I didn't think too much of it, the motor wasn't in the best shape and most of the parts on the car weren't the greatest. Later on, upgraded and cleaned up a few things and it was making in the 480s, car was trapping 133mph with my wife driving it. At that point I thought the turbo was just maxed, I knew the comp wheel could do more, but I though the exhaust side was choking it. I considered going to the better PTE 5-bolt exhaust housing, since it wouldn't require buying a whole new turbo, I didn't want to goto a .82 though, because the car was already way too laggy into 2nd gear after a launch and with stock motor/stock valvetrain I didn't want to rev it too the moon. I though about getting the 35R exhaust wheel like Momin and a few other guys had on their special SC61s or the 62 exhaust wheel, but seemed like too much cost for potentially small gains. Then the 6262 came out and I wanted that. Never ended up selling the SC61 or changing anything on it and instead fixed a few things and moving the car more towards a drag only car in a mad dash to try to make a race, since we didn't ever drive the car anymore. It ended up making almost 550awhp before the trans broke, but the turbo still wasn't maxed out at that point. Happy I didn't spend a bunch of money and goto a 6262 or 6765 and only pick up 20whp because other parts on the car were killing it or happen to switch turbos and make some other changes at the same time and think the new turbo gained 100whp or whatever on it's own.
Old 10-19-2011   #24
turbotalon1g

Drives: '91 Automagic
Send a message via AIM to turbotalon1g

Scheides, I'll try and fix those links.
CB said DSM86 is turbo he considers has good street manners, and a T3 not so much.

A 3065 does sound good, but it didn't sound like the upgrade would be worth it. The 3065 on a 2.0 sounds sick, and I have to agree with shane on a road race/street car the TQ would be killer, but wouldn't it get choked out up top, it looked to fall pretty decent on brad's setup, but I know that was losing boost too.

Does anyone have dynographs for SPNSALL4 aka Jeremy on here? He was at the last dyno day, i believe he just sold his car to someone in duluth. That was a 2.3, 5857 bolton I believe and I think shane tuned it to 30psi before they ran out of fuel and then just sprayed it.

Scheides, I'm gonna try and run a 10.9999 on my setup before I ditch it, I'm just hoping this motor will hold up to it.
Please leave feedback - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/itrader.php?u=58309
turbotalon1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #25
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishmafia View Post
Dont get an X. Please stop posting. KTHXBYE!

This.

Last edited by A//// Guy; 10-19-2011 at 09:47 AM..
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #26
scheides
flips McGee

Quote:
Does anyone have dynographs for SPNSALL4 aka Jeremy on here? He was at the last dyno day, i believe he just sold his car to someone in duluth. That was a 2.3, 5857 bolton I believe and I think shane tuned it to 30psi before they ran out of fuel and then just sprayed it.
Yip, it's in the dyno day thread. He made 500whp @ MAP and 570 w/spray.
Quote:
...I realized that I can't keep up my shit talking without anything to back it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV
S2000: For those of us that know the Miata is the best car on the planet, but also want extra power and to not have to turn in our man cards.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #27
C3L1CA
N17r0U$ br4D

Goosehead Racing Champion! Street Drifting Champion!
Tournaments Won: 1

Drives: bikes and a silveraydo

Yea I don't think I would do the hta upgrade again, didn't seem worth it unless you bought a used one with the upgrade already.

Boost/power dropped a little bit at the end but you can see it spiked to 38 or so and leveled off. That was the highest we ever had it spiked and if we kept it at 30 it would have a super flat boost curve. It also only had a .9 bar spring in the wastegate too. Maybe if it had a stronger spring it could of held more boost up top and made more power. We never really got it back on the dyno before it got parted out.
C3L1CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011   #28
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Brad's with the HTA upgrade made the same exact power at 30psi as it did with the original FP3065 wheel.
Old 10-19-2011   #29
Goat Blower
aka Goodbye

Asteroids Champion! Beach Squirter Champion!
Drives: Taylor Made R15

We're talking about your automagic here, aren't we? You're going to want a little more airflow to spool that turbo on the line vs a 5-speed, so I'd seriously consider a 2.4 in addition to your turbo upgrade. You just can't go wrong with the bigger motors unless you need 10k through the traps.
2017 GMC Yukon-Current winter hooptie

Goat Blower is offline   Reply With Quote