MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 07-02-2011   #1
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Drives: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Spooling Fiddy Trim Style
Grind/Growl Troubleshoot assistance

I need a few pointers. My project is almost complete except for one HUGE PROBLEM! Engine is in the car, transmission bolted on flywheel clutch everything is bolted on. Little bit of background information, that i think is applicable to this problem. A couple weeks back i purchased a advertised to be new flywheel from f1 racing for a 4G63 6 Bolt awd lightweight from a member on here. It looked to be good from what i could tell. I also ordered a xtd stage four clutch that came with a pressure plate friction plate new throw out bearing ect.

Once everything was put back together i went ahead and tried to start the vehicle it cranked cranked cranked and then a horrible growl slash grind, just over all bad noise appeared. The noise is extremly hard to describe. Therefore i got a few opinions of neutral partys that didnt know much about cars and knew a little bit. They pointed at the starter being the source of the noise. . . ? I agree to an extend since it seems to be a rotational noise or you can only here it when the engine is being turned over

Now my question is my starter teeth look slightly or pretty worn. If my teeth were worn pretty bad could that cause a problem with a new flywheel? According to some research it could be the cause due to it slipping of the ring gear teeth ect or thats what i read up on atleast?

Things i already looked over
-Transmission mounting bolts
-starter mounting bolts

-pulled the starter out and bench ran it to see if it was coming out far enough of a distance to engage. It spins nice and freely.

-I double triple quadruple checked my timing marks as well. The cams are still dead on and the mark on my crank shaft sprocket is still on as well. At first i thought those were my valves kissing my engine good bye! However the engine still turns freely by the use of a 1/2 ratchet. So i doubt the engine is seized or anything of that nature

Potential mess ups.
- Flywheel back wards (cant be because my clutch is mounted)
-Friction plate backwards? (I doubt it because the input shaft must go through it and there is a step that goes through the diaphram almost)
-Wrong flywheel? (it looked to match up with the oem unit as far as outer diameter and mounting bolts)

Please help any pointers would be nice im kind of on the verge of either TAKING EVERYTHING BACK APART . . . just to discover the worst and be fed up, but i think every project has its ups and downs. So like usually thank you for the help in advance!
Alpha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #2
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart
Re: Grind/Growl Troubleshoot assistance

Did you check the flywheel step height before installation? Pretty sure it has to be .608"-.610", but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #3
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

No, like a moron i figured its brand new its good to go. Worst case scenario what did i screw up?
Old 07-02-2011   #4
93gtpeater

Drives: cbr 1000rr repsol

I could come look at it
93gtpeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #5
goodhart
Transmission destroyer

Drives: G37, 91 TSi
Send a message via MSN to goodhart

You should take pics of the starter teeth now that it's out and maybe a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
I swing from the nuts of cold hard data. Anything less is a guess.
goodhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #6
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

video of the noise as well? but im in the process of posting pictures. The noise is just so bad i really dont want to crank it again unless its crucial for the adjustment. 93adapter im located in farmington at the moment. Its quite a trip but would be appreciated.

My question regarding the step height could that really be that big of a factor to cause that gruesome noise? Im not to experienced as far as machining.
Old 07-02-2011   #7
Fran05

Drives: DSM

Take a sound clip or video of a "growl" and we'll take it from there.
Fran05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #8
Alpha D
Got Boost o_O'' m

Old Thread Resurrection BUMP....This problem ended up being my old starter teeth that seemed to be not worn abnormally or anything however they didnt like the fly wheel ring gear. So i swapped in a new starter as last resort before pulling the transmission and it fixed the noise. As some know i ended up having bigger problems ha! My question however...Is that the norm for a starter and a new flywheel not to mesh up so well...? Granted all is aligned?