MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2008   #1
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion
Venturi vacuum pump

Will work with any turbo/supercharged car.

Problem:
Pressure in the crank case builds up while car is at wide open throttle (WOT) causing oil leaks. The stock vacuum system in our cars is designed to deal with this problem, -but- our cars are not stock anymore, they move more air, have more blowby, and have more problems.

Symptoms:
Oil dip stick pops out
Oil leaks from the oil cap
Oil leaks from the valve cover gasket
Oil leaks from the cam angle sensor gasket

(this assumes that you have a working PCV valve and have replaced the above gaskets before you do what I am about to suggest)

Conventional solution:
Use a breather filter, if that doesn't work, weld large AN fittings to allow air to blow itself out at a slower rate, thus decreasing the pressure in the valve cover to about atmosphere pressure (~15psi). I disagree with this solution, because it only allows the crank case to vent to atmosphere, it will never be @ atmosphere, always slightly above atmosphere, with air constantly escaping.

My Solution:
Much cheaper and easier then welding AN fittings to the valve cover, and I insist will work better.
A venturi vacuum pump creates a vacuum in the valve cover while under boost. (see picture).

I have been using this for over a week and it has worked great, my car idles better and no oil leaks anywhere!

If anyone wants me to build them one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-0033.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	7085  

Last edited by scheides; 03-10-2008 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: selling stuff in a technical forum by a non-sponsor is a no no :P
iceminion is offline   Reply With Quote