MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 10-11-2009   #1
scheides
flips McGee

evo8: tephra v7 is out!

This is ONE universal rom for ALL 2003-2005 evos! And YES there was no v6

Tephra has come a LONG way with his tweaked roms. I've been running the final test version of this rom since June and I absolutely love it. If you're getting your evo re-tuned and/or you're using ecu-controlled boost, I highly recommend upgrading. The bigger tuning maps in this rom give the tuner more refined control of the a/f and timing the car runs under various conditions.

For ecu-controlled boost users, WGDC is held at 100% until load surpasses load of 200. This made a VAST improvement on the responsiveness of my car, and the snappy response you get from a MBC is (or is nearly) achieved with this, because the wastegate is held shut until you approach your preset target (just like a MBC). Also BWGDC is now GEAR BASED so overboosting in higher gears is a thing of the past. With the max-upwards-tps table zero'd out and mrfred's directboost mod done, this has been the most solid EBC setup I've ever used. Every gear, same boost no massive corrections needed so it always feels nice, smooth, and powerful.

AFR/Knock safety thresholds. KnockCEL is tied into the ecu-controlled boost, and if AFRs are out of spec or the high knock threshold is hit, the ecu can pull boost back.

SPEED DENSITY enabled roms are available! Check post #2 of the thread. I don't think anyone locally is running this way yet, but enough people globally have been testing it that IMHO its safe to try!

http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflas...hramod-v7.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tephra View Post
TephraMod V7

yeah finally

First of all I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the development of this, I reckon some of the new features are awesome

Secondly if you would like to donate just PAYPAL whatever you can/want to donations@globalshare.net

FEATURES

Flashing CEL on Knock
- slow flash for low knock
- fast flash for high knock
- low and high knock thresholds customisable
- minimum load threshold customisable
- can get it to drop boost if above the High knock threshold

Valet Mode
- customisable RPM limit
- autovalet on fresh ignition (ie if you leave the car and come back it will auto valet, as opposed to returning to the previous state you left the car in)
- NOT able to co-exist with TPS based map switching
- CEL will fast flash on ignition if valet is enabled

Alternate Maps
- 3 methods of switching maps - ADC0F (ie Jack_of_Trades harness OR meth failsafe), Intercooler Auto Switch (ie hold down for prescribed time), TPS switching (ie hold TPS like Valet mode)
- all 3 methods WONT switch TO AltMap when car is above load threshold
- ADC0F switching WILL switch BACK to Normal Maps if voltage drops below threshold - hence meth failsafe

BIG MAP
- changed ECU to use new BIGGER MAPS for both Fuel and Timing
- same axis's for both sets of maps
- altmaps and launch maps included
- LOW OCTANGE FUEL AND TIMING INCLUDED as well
- does NOT affect other timing maps, ie EGR or ColdStart

2byte to 1byte load factor
- simple divide routine to convert 2byte load into a 1byte field and then Evoscan will convert back to 2byte.
- MATCH you LoadFactor in ECUFLASH to the SAME as your Eval in evoscan
- MaxLoad is loadfactor * 255, ie a loadfactor of 1.2 will allow a Max Loggable Load of 306, 1.3 = 331... etc (choose an appropriate loadfactor based on your existing max load)

No Lift to Shift (NLTS)
- basically set's a revlimit of whatever your CURRENT RPM is (ie when you shifted) MINUS the RPM Drop you specify in EcuFlash
- Various thresholds ie TPS/Speed/Load so it wont activate by accident
- If you do have problem's its probably your top clutch switch.
- Always do the garage test (ie set speed to 0, tps to 20, load to 0 and then practice the engangement point whilst idling)

AFR Safety
- REQUIRES WB02 wired upto the rear02
- various thresholds and timers
- will Flash CEL AND/OR Drop boost

Launch Maps
- Allows you to customise your "Launch" igition and fuel maps
- various thresholds so it only activates on Launch
- Should override altmap mode as well

FULL Gear based boost control
- removed existing BDEL and BWGDC tables
- added new 3d tables with gear on the X axis
- allows you to have different boost levels AND wastegate duty cycles for each gear

TPS compensation for WGDC
- Basic multiplication table for WGDC

MAF IAT compensation for WGDC
- Allows you to add or remove WGDC based on intake air temp

100% WGDEC under a certain load
- Keeps BCS from openning wastegate under a certain load (to aid in spool up)

INSTALLATION

This time all you have todo is make sure you have a recent copy of EcuFlash (1.41+ is good) and you just COPY the entire .xml file into your EcuFlash XML directory. No more patching xml files.

BIG WARNING
Whilst I have tried to test everything as much as possible it is up to YOU to test each feature before driving your car around! If you notice any WEIRDNESS (including EcuFlash showing funny values for things) please post up so we can help you!

ROMS

96530706 TESTED by Phenem,

941700XX, 969600XX, 964200XX??? - See Phemen's first reply down below!!
88590015, 90550001, 88580014, 88570008, 96260009 + MORE COMING SOON!!!

I can try and help answer any questions or implementation questions, post up!
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #2
Ronnie S

Re: evo8: tephra v7 is out!

I'm ready to try this. There seem to be a throttle hang issue after the switch since the rom is similar to 05 roms.
Scheides are you running SD yet?
Ronnie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #3
scheides
flips McGee

No SD for me, I'm happy with my MAF. If someone dyno tests it and sees considerable improvement in power and/or driveability, I'll think about it.
Old 10-11-2009   #4
Ronnie S

I'm currently gathering up all the info I need along with the omni 4 bar to try the SD set up. Hopefully in a week I have it up and running. In the process of taking the big turbo out and Green back in. (wish I had a heated garage at home - freaking cold as heck)

Do you get any throttle hang with yours?
Ronnie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #5
scheides
flips McGee

No throttle hang, but I'm using (basically) the idle settings shane put into my tune long ago, so maybe its just an ISC stepping issue?
Old 10-12-2009   #6
311evo

Drives: Evo VIII and 96' Buick Park Ave
Send a message via MSN to 311evo

Tephra is a smart fella.
311evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #7
jrohner

Drives: 91GSX; 98 GSX; 92 Tsi AWD; Kawasaki ZR7

My car seems to have less power with [what turns out to be] the same tune running SD. Also, it sounds like all Evo 8's running SD have an issue between 2000-2500 RPMS at certain vacuum levels that makes the engine kind of sputter. I ran SD since like June or July and have just now dumped it, especially after the disappointing numbers at the dyno day (394/419 @ 29psi). Also, removing the whole intake pipe, filter, MAS for the 3rd pull gained basically nothing (4 hp / 6 torque).

Is there any advantage moving to the 'final version' of tephramod7 over my v7t5?

Last edited by jrohner; 10-12-2009 at 09:39 AM..
jrohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #8
scheides
flips McGee

The final version has big maps enabled and some cleaned up xml but from what I can tell its identical. I'll post up if I find a big difference.

4whp/6wtq is something though, but is it really worth it? If the drivability is sub-par, prolly not. Any other comments on running SD?
Old 10-12-2009   #9
jrohner

Drives: 91GSX; 98 GSX; 92 Tsi AWD; Kawasaki ZR7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Any other comments on running SD?
WOT was good. VE tuning was pretty easy; the easiest part of the switch to SD actually. With the base VE settings, it was quite rich but ran good, did a quick change a couple times and things were pretty darn close already. The biggest thing is acceleration enrichment must be upped a huge amount for decent throttle response. Even as of late, I still had to take off careful to not kill the engine (when taking off easy and slow), especially with a cold engine. There seemed to be a little more 'surging' when in 1st gear or reverse than normal. I also seemed to run a bit lean until the engine had some heat in it (basically the opposite of normal), so the coolant temp enrichment could've used more tuning as well.

I think if someone released an SD ROM with the acceleration & coolant temp enrichments tuned fairly well (yes I know every car will be a bit different), it would make the switch very easy and pain free.

The 2 2D VE maps are decent and easy to tune, but they are kind of a pain when running really high boost with a small turbo since the VE goes down so much at high RPMs and high boost, and not so much at low boost. I had to totally redo the RPM VE map when upping my boost to not get insanely rich.
jrohner is offline   Reply With Quote