MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 01-16-2007   #1
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g
Rust Repair

Alright so I was raising my car yesterday and noticed a nice sized rust spot inside the rear driver side wheel well.. and when I barely touched it, it became a hole I've temporarily covered it with tape to prevent more rust from getting inside to the body. So I have two questions: what is that black stuff in the wheel wells, fiberglass? and how shall I go about repairing it, or should I just take it somewhere. If I do it myself I was assuming I'd take out the remaining rust, put some mesh down on it, spray the rust to primer stuff and bondo it, would that work? Car is a 97 GSX.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007   #2
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3
Re: Rust Repair

Mine had nasty rust there. It was pretty easy to cut it back to a rust free area and weld in new metal. The body work isn't too hard, but it's covered by the side molding if you don't do a great job.

And yeah, I would use some self etching primer and coat it quickly before painting.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #3
rst95eclipse

How bad is it? If you look in the gallery, I have pictures of my car. Take a close look at the wheel wells. I used a grider with a wire brush. I have since primered it so that the humid air won't create rust. I have purchased 4 bottles of 3M Rubberized Underbody Spray (can looks black with marroon accents). From what I've been told, it's the best thing you can use. If you have a hole, where you can look into your car, you'll definately need to patch it and then spray.
rst95eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007   #4
clean2g
Boost Junkie

Drives: I teleport
Send a message via AIM to clean2g

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst95eclipse View Post
How bad is it? If you look in the gallery, I have pictures of my car. Take a close look at the wheel wells. I used a grider with a wire brush. I have since primered it so that the humid air won't create rust. I have purchased 4 bottles of 3M Rubberized Underbody Spray (can looks black with marroon accents). From what I've been told, it's the best thing you can use. If you have a hole, where you can look into your car, you'll definately need to patch it and then spray.
Yea its a hole about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch tall, and I'm trying to figure out how to patch it cause I've never done body work before and I don't have a welder nor can I weld. If I fix it I'll fix that whole area cause I duno where else the rust has gone in. I have a can of that 3M stuff but haven't ever used it yet. I'll def. put it on after I fix the hole. I'm trying to figure out how much it would cost to just get it done by someone.
clean2g is offline   Reply With Quote