MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 02-04-2007   #1
kennydawgg

af wideband help

ok I have a blinkey type af gauge now and from everwhere I am reading everyone says throw it away bla bla bla. so what makes a wideband so much better, is it just a dedicated o2 sensor and a gauge like my blinkey one? could you make your own wideband with a digital gauge some wire and a dedicated o2 sensor? If I just added a dedicated o2 to the gauge I have now would it be pretty accurate?

Please only respond with helpful remarks as ppl trying to butch up by calling people stupid (in more or less words) on forums really annoy me.

thanks
kenny
kennydawgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #2
sleepydsm
Kevin

Send a message via AIM to sleepydsm
Re: af wideband help

Something with voltage, and greater accuracy. Narrow band o2s like yours only show 0volts-1volt and widebands shows 0v-5volts
Currently on Corvette #4
sleepydsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007   #3
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance
Re: af wideband help

Narrowband O2 sensors like the stock ones are only accurate at 14.7:1 A/F ratio. When you get even half a point away from there, they are wildly inaccurate. Wideband O2 setups are usually very accurate all the way from around 10.0:1 or lower up to 19.0:1 or higher.

Widebands also aren't a simple power, ground and signal setup like a narrowband. They require a controller box to run them, which is why they are more expensive. A wideband O2 sensor on it's own can often be cheaper than a stock style O2 sensor, but you need a controller to run it.