MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 12-15-2007   #1
GnArKiLl

AWD auto problem

my talon is an AWD auto and when it is cold and i go to start it and leave, for the first few blocks its REALY bogged down in the drive gears but after a few blocks its just like normal.. what would cause this? the tranny is full, i think its the torque converter but i could be wrong.. what do you guys think?
GnArKiLl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #2
scheides
flips McGee

Re: AWD auto problem

Try putting some thinner fluid while its so cold out, or let the car warm up for longer before you begin to drive. Sounds like your fluid is just thick.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007   #3
TkrPerformance

Drives: toaster
Send a message via AIM to TkrPerformance

just let it warm up first
what ever you do dont flush it. I had my spyder flush after that the tranny took a shit when it was still a auto
TkrPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #4
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkrPerformance View Post
just let it warm up first
what ever you do dont flush it. I had my spyder flush after that the tranny took a shit when it was still a auto

Yeah, don't flush the system. It will just create problems later. I have known many of friends auto transmissions who have fell victim to the flush.
Even after I warned them.
Old 12-16-2007   #5
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew7dg View Post
Yeah, don't flush the system. It will just create problems later. I have known many of friends auto transmissions who have fell victim to the flush.
Even after I warned them.
So you guys are scaring the people with auto AWD cars to not flush the tranny at all!!

So when would be a good time to do so?? In summer and thats all or what?
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #6
twack
It was a auto get over it

Drives: something better then you
Send a message via AIM to twack

For what its worth, ive had mine flushed a bunch of times and it has 115k on it. Mine went through a flood though and survived
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #7
tim

I dont know of any places that do a transmission flush, whatever that is. Every machine that I have seen does an exchange of the fluid. The trans itself does the pumping and just takes in new fluid as the old fluid is taken out. Very smart thing to do as long as you do it somewhat regularly. Actually, that is the only way you are going to get all of the fluid changed out of the torque converter. You can also do this with a couple buckets and some extra line hooked up to your cooler lines. If the vehicle has a shit load of miles on it and the fluid is black and shitty already the new fluid may be too slippery and the trans may not like that. You may experience slipping just because the fluid is no longer loaded with clutch material and metal filings.

As far as the problem in the first post. Let it warm up a bit like everyone has said. Also go to www.howstuffworks.com and see how a torque converter actually works, it will make a lot of sense why the vehicle feels bogged down.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #8
xveganxcowboyx
Wanker

Drives: 95 M3

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the argument against changing the fluid. Any failures were probably coincidental or were going to happen soon anyways (like switching to synthetic engine oil). I've never believed standard transmission fluid could last the life of a vehicle. I figure a tranny flush should be done roughly as often as the timing belt. Longer if you use synthetic.

If you don't want to pay for a fancy machine back flush just drain what you can and refill it. It's at least half of it is new and has the proper lubrication and viscocity then.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #9
GsXtUrBo98

Drives: 98 GSX, 04 is300
Send a message via AIM to GsXtUrBo98

Quote:
Originally Posted by xveganxcowboyx View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't buy the argument against changing the fluid. Any failures were probably coincidental or were going to happen soon anyways (like switching to synthetic engine oil). I've never believed standard transmission fluid could last the life of a vehicle. I figure a tranny flush should be done roughly as often as the timing belt. Longer if you use synthetic.

If you don't want to pay for a fancy machine back flush just drain what you can and refill it. It's at least half of it is new and has the proper lubrication and viscocity then.
I agree with this.. And also a tranny flush is the same thing as using the machine with the cylinders to do a complete swap of fluid. Thats the only way that i would change the fluid in a auto, but if you are affraid of the tranny not liking the new fluid change then you could do it like the back yard machanic would, drain and fill... It will get you atleast half new fluid and you can run it for a while like that till the tranny gets a feel for it then do the flush..

Thats just the way that i see it.
GsXtUrBo98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #10
dragonforce

"bogged down" sounds like an engine performance issue. Transmission problem is usually slipping, noise, or no gear problems. But if you think it is tranny problem, I would just change fluid and filter. if that doesn't fix, bring it in to trans shop.
dragonforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #11
b00stcreep21
I hate everyone

Transmission fluid ISN'T supposed to last the life of the vehicle, but it is supposed to be changed based on a regular maintenance schedule. If it doesn't, it can end up doing what everyone's talking about, and fucking the trans when you put new, fresh fluid in
Old 12-17-2007   #12
GnArKiLl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonforce View Post
"bogged down" sounds like an engine performance issue. Transmission problem is usually slipping, noise, or no gear problems. But if you think it is tranny problem, I would just change fluid and filter. if that doesn't fix, bring it in to trans shop.
it a tranny problem for sure cuz it didnt do it till i changed to tranny fluid... im gonna try a thiner fluid
Old 12-17-2007   #13
twack

Try "B&M TrickShift" thats what i use in my auto
Old 12-17-2007   #14
GnArKiLl

i was told that "tirckshift" is not a good idea for these trannys in stock form
Old 12-17-2007   #15
twack

Hmmmm havnt had a problem with it yet. Last time they were out and had to get "hotshift" and thats whats in the car now
Old 12-17-2007   #16
Andrew7dg
Built it from scratch!

Drives: Currently Mitsu-less

Just to bring back the argument

Trans flush - different then changine transmission fluid

Flushing is the high pressure forcing of fluid back against the normal flow of the fluid. In other words if the normal flow is left to right, the flush would force the fluid right to left. This is accomplished by connecting a machine that will force special solvents back through the engine and transmission. The idea is that by forcing cleaning solvents backwards through the system, it will get all the junk and garbage that has formed over time and "flush" it out of the system. In theory this may be sound, but in actual practice, it's dangerous.

The Dangers Of Flushing...

Flush machines do what they say; they force high pressure cleaning solvents back through the engine and transmission and clean out some of the accumulated junk that has formed. Now engines have small passages and galleries through which oil or automatic transmission fluid flow and there are one-way valves that keep the fluids from backtracking for whatever reason. By using an aggressive cleaning procedure like flushing, large chunks of accumulated sludge are broken off and forced backwards through these galleries and valves and, more often than not, lodge tightly and block them. This cuts off the normal flow of the fluid and causes lack of lubrication in an engine and abnormal or no shifting in a transmission. The results are expensive repairs, or more often, engine or transmission replacement.

Article that I read:

I checked with GM, Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Honda and several other new car manufacturers and not one recommended an engine or transmission flush as routine maintenance. In fact, they specifically don't recommend it at all!! The new car dealerships that do sell them use the implication that since they are the dealer that it must be the factory that recommends it. And if they do say the factory recommends it, they are flat out lying to you.

The only ones who do recommend flushing as a maintenance procedure are the companies that sell the flush machines and the shops that buy them. The flush machine manufacturers state quite clearly in their operating manuals not to use their machines on "high-mileage vehicles". That simple statement proves that flushing is not a safe procedure. It also absolves them of any responsibility of any damage that may occur due to the use of their equipment. This leaves the shop wholly responsible for anything that happens and the cost of correcting the damage that occurs.
I know this since I recently appeared as a witness in a lawsuit where a person was sold an engine flush that destroyed his engine.

I think it really has to do with how old the fluid is inside the trans and how many miles the trans has

If it is old, I wouldn't flush the system

However I drive a manual transmission

Last edited by Andrew7dg; 12-17-2007 at 09:55 AM..
Andrew7dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #17
twack

Good info. I totally agree on the flushing, ive had to do but dont recommend it. Just let it drain and pull the filter.