MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 03-28-2009   #1
deadeye

Drives: 95 TSi AWD POS
T25 and 14b rebuild kits

I got a couple spare turbos that could use a once over and I was just wondering where people would go to get a rebuild kit and what it usually runs.

I realize its probably not worth the effort with these little guys, but it might be nice when the big dog blows out to have a good solid spare to slap on in the meantime. If I were to come across some cheap vtech, it would be nice to have a good turbo to throw some boost at it too.
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #2
GREASEMONKEY
Banned

Moon Lander Champion!
Drives: 92 TSi
Send a message via AIM to GREASEMONKEY
Re: T25 and 14b rebuild kits

You can go down to Diesel Components down in burnsville i believe or there are some places on the internet you can order from.

I would never never order a rebuild from there but ebay will probably have what your looking for..
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #3
deadeye

Ya Im not real hot about Egay stuff. I really would rather walk in somewhere and deal with real people. Besides, the stuff on there is probably made by a 8 year old in thailand or something and Im just not cool with that.

Anyway, I was wondering if your carefull and actually mark everything during dissasembly, if its possible to do a decent rebuild without having it balanced. (I did read VFAQ on it)I realize that having the whole deal profesionally done is ideal but probably fairly expensive. Im pretty cheap and willing to admit that, so if it takes some extra time and effort to do it myself then im ok with that. I got plenty of time and paitence for that kind of thing. However, I dont want to do something stupid and take on something that a real machine shop should be doing.
Old 03-28-2009   #4
deadeye

Oh yeah, thanks for the heads up on Diesel Components. Exactly what I was after, someone in town that I can see in person.
Old 03-28-2009   #5
GREASEMONKEY
Banned

Moon Lander Champion!

Technically yes and no, Basically you can buy the rebuild kit, Install all the new components and after you do all that you can take the intake & exhaust compressor wheels and the shaft and bring that back down to diesel components and they will be able to balance it for 40 bux or less. Thats what i did and it worked out great. Ovbiosly the less labor they do the cheaper.

I would recommend balancing the turbo after a rebuild no matter if you mark it or not. Thats just my .02

-- Also i forgot to mention that there is a place in blaine that also does balancing, I believe it's called Diesel import & truck or something kevin (sleepydsm) Knows more about that place then i do. I'm pretty sure it's on 109th and central or somewhere around there.

Hope this helps out

-Stephan
Old 03-28-2009   #6
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

i also rebuilt them on the side. i do not use ebay kits, all shafts are cleaned and rebalanced. center housings are cleaned everything is gapped to spec. if you have questions shoot me a pm...
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009   #7
deadeye

Thats just what I was looking to hear. Im more than willing to do some work and pay to have it balanced if thats the right way to do it (which it sounds to me like there is no question whether or not to get it balanced). I got plenty of time to rebuild it, I just want to make sure its solid when its all said and done. I dont like having issues because I was a cheap ass where I shouldnt have been. Im sure eventually my Evo3 will need it too so what better practice than on a 14b.

Thanks for the heads up 'Dude, I may hit u up on that depending on what uncle sam gives me back in the way of extra dough.
Old 03-29-2009   #8
GREASEMONKEY
Banned

Moon Lander Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaan_dude View Post
i also rebuilt them on the side. i do not use ebay kits, all shafts are cleaned and rebalanced. center housings are cleaned everything is gapped to spec. if you have questions shoot me a pm...
Are you saying that you re-balence them yourself?
Old 03-30-2009   #9
jhaan_dude

Art of War Champion! Mario Tetris 3 Champion! Yeti 1 Greece Champion!
Drives: a car

no i have a guy that does all my turbo shaft balancing and wheel balancing for me, at a very discounted rate...why need something done?
jhaan_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #10
GREASEMONKEY
Banned

Moon Lander Champion!

Nope, I was just curious.
Old 04-01-2009   #11
lucasoil4u

Drives: talon tsi evo 3 25psi

im thinking that you should stack the turbos to make one CRAZY BIG ONE! lil shaft play never hurt no one.
lucasoil4u is offline   Reply With Quote