MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 09-03-2010   #1
1G_DSM

Drives: 1994 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Auto
Help Diagnose My Car's Problem - Video Side

I think its the turbo seal but I need feedback and opinions. I'm the type of person who gets really concerned when something is wrong with my car.

The car has been sitting for over a year, so the gas is bad. The smoke has just gotton worse as time went by. At first I thought maybe it was the valve stems because it would smoke and then go away like bad valve stems, but now maybe I think its the turbo seal? The old gas probably contributes to the problem too I think. I know when I first stored it for the winter when I first got it, and the gas got old, it would smoke in the Spring but as I got new gas into it and started driving more, the smoking dissapeared all together. I did a compression test a year ago and the numbers were fine. I start it up every so often while I stored it.

09/03/2010, 61 degrees F, cold start, driver side door was open from the beginning. Notice that the oil pressure is high during a cold startup due to no balance shafts, it drops down after a few minutes after the car has warmed up. There is an unpluged bung for a wideband on the downpipe. Bad gas, gas is over a year old. Shot with HTC Evo phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVK8reRIrg

09/03/2010, 61 degrees F, after 10 minutes of idling, driver side door was closed from the beginning. Notice oil pressure has gone back down. There is an unpluged bung for a wideband on the downpipe. Bad gas, gas is over a year old. Had a hard time reving the engine and holding my phone at the same time. Shot with HTC Evo phone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VC5E2IDAeg

Thanks in advance.
1G_DSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #2
CarPsyco84

Drives: 07' Z06, 16' Beta 300RR
Re: Help Diagnose My Car's Problem - Video Side

Does your car have a cat on it or did it stop smoking once it was warmed up? If you go make a 2nd or 3rd gear pull with it, and it smokes like a brush fire while under boost, its more likely turbo, if it doesn't just smokes a little bit when cold or at idle, its more likely valve stem seals. Bad piston rings typically cause smoking when you let up, or on the back off. These aren't rules by any means, but just in my experience.