MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-28-2004   #1
PSiedTSi

first off i have a 92 talon tsi awd 5spd 6bolt, i bought it from a guy that owned a shop and used it as a dynoqueen and he took the motor out before he sold it to me. He was running VPC and MSD ignition. I got a JDM motor and put it in...everything plugged in alright...it was a 90 motor so the cam sensor was different so thats one of my possibilities is that its wired wrong. Are there any stock ignition wires that had to be cut for the MSD to be installed? What is the wiring diagram for the 90 camsensor to a 92 harness? Another problem could be a bad ECU...if anyone is near fargo-moorhead and would like a possible challenge let me know ill pay and provide the booze...let me know any possibilities or if you wanna help

Thanks,
Tony
PSiedTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #2
john
Business as usual

Drives: Dodge Viper and Honda Insight
The cam sensors are different on a 90. As far as the MSD goes, there are several different models and install options. I have a MSD DIS-2, you have to cut into coil wires. If you did not reconnect them, there is no signal from the ecu to give it spark. Does the factory boost gauge read 0 when attempting to start? I would swap to a 92 CAS. How did you hook up a 90 CAS? I can only imagine cutting and splicing? That may have some effect on the resistance of the wires.
Old 08-28-2004   #3
PSiedTSi

yeah i cut and spliced the wires for the cam sensor...not ideal i know...i would go to a 92 CAS if i had one...im tryin to remember what the boost gauge reads i think it is 0...i havent done anythin to the ignition because it appeared like it was all in there coils, module, ignitor etc and it just plugged in...
Old 08-28-2004   #4
joem
Banned

Drives: 1991 Talon awd auto
Talk to SLS there in moorhead. 1-701-282-2902
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004   #5
PSiedTSi

yeah i know the guys over at SLS i was just wondering if anyone had any idea on here...
Old 08-28-2004   #6
LightningGSX
Hellbound

Are the injectors firing? The cam sensor signal is also used for injector timing.The coils and the power transistor are different on the 90s too I believe.So as long as the coils and PT are from a 91+ DSM, you should be able to narrow down the problem pretty quickly.
Old 08-28-2004   #7
PSiedTSi

i believe the injectors are firing but i will definately check again...yeah the ignition is from the 92
Old 08-29-2004   #8
john
Business as usual

Yeah, if the engine that was off a 90 came with all sensors, there are a few of them that are different. They are kind of obvious if I remember as they will not fit in the same plugs. I know that the coil connector is a different shape and I am pretty sure that the power transistor is different. If you have a 90 TB, it also hooks up differenly. Seems like you would have had a bit of splicing to do. Check the coil wiring to see if any of it was cut for the MSD. See if you can get ahold of the prior owner to see what unit he had in the car. Then ask him if he had to cut anything or check it out on mdsignitions.com.
Old 08-29-2004   #9
PSiedTSi

yeah i got the sensors on the TB hooked up alright...took some pondering but that was done...but i do have the ignition from the 92 thats what is in the car...the motor didnt come with any part of the ignition except plugs/wires...if i remember right there was a wire coming out of the PT that was cut...i tried to find another cut wire that it woulda gone too but i didnt see anything...if it helps any i believe the wire is white..
Old 08-29-2004   #10
joem
Banned

Drives: 1991 Talon awd auto
Quote:
Originally posted by PSiedTSi@Aug 28 2004, 01:12 PM
if anyone is near fargo-moorhead and would like a possible challenge let me know ill pay and provide the booze...let me know any possibilities or if you wanna help

Thanks,
Tony
Talk to SLS there in moorhead. 1-701-282-2902
Like you said looking for someone near moorhead you would pay so just tring to help.
joe
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004   #11
PSiedTSi

no thats cool i appreciate positive input...and i guess kevin over there is goin to take a look at it
Old 08-29-2004   #12
john
Business as usual

I believe I have a cut wire coming off my power transistor also. I am not sure it has anything to do with the MSD though. I will see if I can find my instruction manual. The msd site may have some help also if you can get a model he used.