MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Tuning/Electrical

Old 05-16-2005   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question HELP.... Injector fitting question/problem

I was putting my fuel system back on the car after putting the Magnus manifold finally on. I'm also putting PTE 780cc injectors on. I had all 3 bolts of the fuel rail torqued down to spec and i went to plug the wiring harness in and it won't fit. The injector is too tight up again the rail for the harness to slide down.

So i compared the PTE injector to the stock injector. Everything looked the same except the fuel inlet on the PTE was a bit longer. The stock injector has a rubber type grommet looking thing that goes on before the o-ring. Is that supposed to be moved over to the new PTE injectors? If so, i tried that but then it didn't seem like the injector was going far enough into the rail. I'm not referring to the o-rings. Those are fine. I'm also not referring to the grommets that go into the head either. This grommet i'm referring is just under the top o-ring. It butts up against the rail. If i move the grommet over to the new injectors, then it looks like i will have clearance it's just that the injector doesn't seem like it's in the rail too far.

Thanks much!!
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005   #2
Onefast99gsx

Re: HELP.... Injector fitting question/problem

I found this off dsmlink..... DAM!! Is this what i have to do. Not run those grommets. Instead have to grind the dam rail???

a small advice to PTE...sell injectors that fit.

Well, somewhat. They fit and all, but when i went to plug the harnesses back into them, I found out the injectors were pinned against the fuel rail little fingers that stick out next to where the plugs are.

SO...off comes the fuel rail again, and to the grinding table, ground each 2 little tabs off flush, and now they fit perfectly.

Im lucky I have a grinding wheel though.
Old 05-17-2005   #3
Onefast99gsx

Here is a pic of the problem. Someone out there has to know or heard of this. Basically the injector is pinned up against the rail so now i can't get the connector on. Please check out the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Injector Problem.JPG (108.4 KB, 249 views)
Old 05-17-2005   #4
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

I have had the same problem with Denso, FIc and others with the 2G rail. just break the back of the clips off.
Old 05-17-2005   #5
Onefast99gsx

ecoli- Thanks for the help. This has been stressing me out all day. I even called PTE this morning and the tech guy said he's never heard of this. Of course calling them was probably dumb because of course they won't admit to a problem. I found something on DSMlinks website about a guy having the same problem and he ground those little fingers away on the fuel rail. I suppose i have the option of grinding the rail or breaking off the clips like you say. I also called ExtremePSI(where i got them) from and they said they have sold thousands and never heard anything of this either. Hard to believe that less than a handful of people have experienced this.

Thanks for your input...
Old 05-17-2005   #6
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

I didn't seem to have any problem with my PTEs on my 2g

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #7
Onefast99gsx

I just got this back from PTE support. I don't have a digital calipers with me at work, but i can say that the ones i have are about 2 7/8" on the head. Sounds almost like the Honda length ones that he talks about. I have no problem with grinding away or whatever at the fuel rail. Will a Honda intended injector work in a Mitsubishi though? By the way- i ordered the right injector, it's whatever i sent is the issue.

Well it sounds like you bought the wrong injector. Mitsubishi injectors measure 2.98" total height and have a large 16mm bottom o-ring. The regular Honda injectors are 2.84" total height and they have a smaller 14mm bottom o-ring.
Maybe you need the smaller Honda injectors? You need to verify with Extreme PSI what you got exactly and then I can go from there. Let me know. Thanks.

-Don
PTE Sales
219-996-7832
Old 05-17-2005   #8
JET
Is funding Exxon.

Drives: like a bat outta hell!
Send a message via AIM to JET Send a message via Yahoo to JET

Why not just spin the injectors so the plug is on the side?

My motorcycle is stock and reliable, my Talon is neither!
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #9
Onefast99gsx

HI Jet- I thought about that, actually spinning the injector 180* so that the connector was under the rail vs. over the top. I just wasn't sure if fuel injectors were directional. What i mean is, do they spray a certain way(path/direction)? Or do they spray straight on no matter how you have them in there?

I just ended up grinding the rail some before i logged in here. I'm gonna look at the 180* thing. I like the idea of the connector on the bottom for less visible wiring.

UPDATE: I measured them with a calipers tonight and everything says that they are indeed the right injectors for 4g63. How can 1000's be sold and only like a few people ever run into this? Well one would argue installed wrong... Didn't use the 3 plastic spacers, o-rings wrong, etc.. The answer would be they are 100% installed right. It's a 2g, but i honestly couldn't tell you if the '99 fuel rails are different than 95-98.

Thanks.

Last edited by Onefast99gsx; 05-17-2005 at 08:28 PM..
Old 05-18-2005   #10
Shane@DBPerformance
formerly ecoli

Send a message via AIM to Shane@DBPerformance

Eventually you get to the point in modding, where you don't expect anything to fit correctly and just make it fit one way or another without even wondering why it doesn't fit. I have had to grind away part of the spray end of injectors on Honda's before to get injectors to fit into different intake manifolds.
Old 05-18-2005   #11
Onefast99gsx

Yes!!! Between the new 50trim and the Magnus, they have yielded my tons of other mods. Some were free and some were costly. Rule of thumb is that it's bolt on to a point. I hope to start it this weekend. I have so much time and money into this thing i'm almost scared to.