MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 08-11-2005   #1
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Drives: 1993 Talon AWD
Send a message via MSN to 1slowdsm
Howling/Whining Noise.

Ever since I put the new exhaust on, I've been having this howling/whining noise. It usually happens after 2500 RPMs and if normal driving it stops at about 3500 RPMs. If I'm on the gas, then it usually keeps howling and when I let of the gas or shift it'll howl down and start over again. Does anyone know what may cause this? At first I thought it was the t-case low on fluid, but I checked and added to it and did the same to the tranny but it still howls. It kinda sounds like a weak super-charger on top of the turbo....:/
1slowdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005   #2
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Re: Howling/Whining Noise.

(update)I thought this noise was coming from my tranny or transfer case being low, but I changed the fluids and stuff and the noise is still there. I even used the K&N air filter cleaner to clean my filter and the noise went away for about a day and then now it's back. It only sounds when I'm moving and I'm on stepping on the gas. I've tried to rev it up, but no sound. Went to neutral and let it cruise but no sound either. I wonder if it could be my stock bov leaking a little, because when I'm at boost and switch gears it'll sound exactly like the bov with the whining noise. I just hope it isnt my turbo going out.
Old 08-26-2005   #3
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle

sounds like something boost related. You wont build boost without load, however, if it was transmission related, you would probably need a load to see the symptoms. Im guessing that you will need more information for anyone to actually help you.

Check the turbo, boost leaks, and your intake area. You might have some sort of weak connection between the intake and the intake pipe. I had that problem when i didnt have the intake filter connected to the intake with the clips ( 2 were broke) and I noticed occassionally it was getting away from the intake causing it to suck air from 2 directions and it made a funny sound. It was fixed with new clips, never came back.

Sorry if that doesn't help at all, I didn't have a lot of information to work with.
Old 08-26-2005   #4
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

Sorry about the little info I put up. I'm still trying to figure out what's causing the problem and so far that's all I got. Atleast you tried to help out. Now I have more ideas to work with... . I'm sure that the intake and intake pipe are connected really good, but I'll check. Hmm...after thinking about it for a few seconds I think it might be tranny related since it howls when under some load, plus it the sounds comes from the front right side o the car. (I really hope it isnt tranny related :/ )
Old 08-26-2005   #5
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

You said this started as soon as you put your exhaust on, 2500-3500 rpm is right where 4-cylinder engines get a wierd resonance. Are you sure this isn't an exhaust tone? Have someone more experienced with DSM's take a ride in the car. Where do you live? If you're nearby Crystal I'm free most of Saturday.
Kracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005   #6
1slowdsm
Now 1 second.....slower!

I live in St. Paul near Dale and halfway between 94 and Grand Ave.