MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 08-19-2005   #1
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638
Who paints..

I was wondering who paints, and for how much to do a car? Also, how long does it take?

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #2
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Send a message via AIM to Pimpin Dsmstyle
Re: Who paints..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638
I was wondering who paints, and for how much to do a car? Also, how long does it take?

-A. Swift
If you want cost and a time frame. I would strongly look into giving very detailed information about the car.

Year / make / model
Color ( same or change)
Apprx how many dents / dings
Any outstanding areas needing attention?
Condition of current paint
What kind of paint would you want
Just exterior or jams too
How much rust? surface or holes?
Are you looking for perfection, or just a good looking car

It depends on what you want. Garage paint jobs can cost 500 - 3500. I just had a 240 color change done in my garage. Took a little over 2 weeks and we had it back for a couple additional days. Cost about 2500. Undercharged considering the circumstances. You wont get any information with the ZERO information you provided. If you'd like a cost/time estimate, please drop the info listed.
Old 08-19-2005   #3
Swifty1638
Unsure resident asshole

Drives: '92 Eagle TalonTSI w/many mods
Send a message via AIM to Swifty1638

Ok..hmm..it's a 92 eclipse GSX. The only rust I can find is surface rust on the front passenger fender at the corner where it meets the corner light. Then a little surface rust on the pinch weld on the driver's rear wheel well. Not too bad at all. The current paint is in really good condition actually. There are a few dents and dings in the hood mainly, but I plan on swapping that (cf). I want to keep the roof area black, and leave that alone, but paint the rest of the car. The rear wing, matches the rest of the car. I'll be getting a talon front bumper to swap before painting, and if needed I can get the parts off the car, for ease to the painter. The current color is that burgundy/maroon red. I plan on going with the fuzion orange that pontiac, gm, and saturn are running new this year..for some reason, i really like it! I'd like a fairly decent paintjob. I don't want runs, or massive imperfections..if needed, i'd help on the prep. I'd like jams painted as well, and I can take out the door sills, and such to help. other info needed? I am just tryin to get a feel for what to save up for, and how long i'd take..cause, since this is my ONLY car, i'd like to keep the downtime to a minimum...

-A. Swift
Black 1GB Mafia #1
744AWHP/526TQ-Shootout mode
639.6AWHP/452TQ-DB's dyno

I wanna go fast.
Swifty1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #4
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty1638
Ok..hmm..it's a 92 eclipse GSX. The only rust I can find is surface rust on the front passenger fender at the corner where it meets the corner light. Then a little surface rust on the pinch weld on the driver's rear wheel well. Not too bad at all. The current paint is in really good condition actually. There are a few dents and dings in the hood mainly, but I plan on swapping that (cf). I want to keep the roof area black, and leave that alone, but paint the rest of the car. The rear wing, matches the rest of the car. I'll be getting a talon front bumper to swap before painting, and if needed I can get the parts off the car, for ease to the painter. The current color is that burgundy/maroon red. I plan on going with the fuzion orange that pontiac, gm, and saturn are running new this year..for some reason, i really like it! I'd like a fairly decent paintjob. I don't want runs, or massive imperfections..if needed, i'd help on the prep. I'd like jams painted as well, and I can take out the door sills, and such to help. other info needed? I am just tryin to get a feel for what to save up for, and how long i'd take..cause, since this is my ONLY car, i'd like to keep the downtime to a minimum...

-A. Swift
1g, minimal rust, couple dings, color change, thurough paint job.

Without seeing it, I'd say in the garage, I could scrap like 2500ish. The engine bay wont get touched. If I were you id spray it black. You could take it to a shop but it will cost you over 4gz ;( time... 2 weeks max. Probably 1 week with a weekend on both sides and possible a couple days for a decent cure.
Old 08-19-2005   #5
A//// Guy

Bloody Seal Bounce Champion!
Drives: Slowly

4 Grand for a paint job? That must be including all sanding prep work, priming, painting and everything.

I would say that you do all the prep work and that will save ALOT of money. Giving it to someone primed and ready to spray the final coat would be much cheaper, unless you dont want to do that stuff.

But then Id say yank the motor and do the whole car right the first time. Maybe over the winter....
A//// Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #6
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Yea. Someone not educated in the autobody business has no place doing any sort of prep work. The paint job comes out the way it does 90% becaue of the prep work. Obviously with spraying, you dont want runs, dry spots, or orange peel but thats the easy part and the fixable part. Once you paint, if you see dents / scratches.. your going to either have to suck it up or paint it again. With wet sanding / buffing, you can repair paint most of the time. If you have to ask how much hardener to mix with the bondo, you shouldn't even be trying it Nothing can really tell you how much either, it's a matter of the application and temerature. You dont need to primer the whole car either, just the spots that you did work too. Sealer is probably what you were thinking about peter.

There are a few ppl that paint on here. One is "brently" and TKRperformance is in school for it and I believe his car is coming along well.
Old 08-19-2005   #7
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Another thing. Its your car. If you feel comfortable doing the body work / prep work and just need someone to tape / paint.. it can cost you less than 1k. Taping is very essential but isnt what costs the money. The hours upon hours of quality body work is what costs the cash. 600 dollars in materials is about what you would be looking at start to finish. White / black is the cheapest paint while Red is the most expensive due to the amount of pigments it contains.
Old 08-19-2005   #8
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Everyone wants a nice looking car. A lot of people ask me about painting constantly. Thing of it is, it takes time and money to get the job done. Most people cant or arent willing to handle that. Out of all the people that ask me for quotes on DSMstyle and MNsportcompacts, only one car got done and I'm pretty sure he was satisfied with it.
Old 08-19-2005   #9
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

http://www.dsmstyle.com/forums/showt...8&page=1&pp=20

^^ PICTURES THERE ^^

There are posts about this same exact thread and there are pictures on line #6. Id strongly consider looking at what 2500-3000 can get you.

Last edited by Pimpin Dsmstyle; 08-19-2005 at 09:45 PM..
Pimpin Dsmstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #10
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Drives: GTS and E55

4000 is pretty high for a paint job though. Maybe including doing the jambs, under the hood and everything. The prep work isn't very hard though. I have painted and I think you could do a pretty good job prepping it yourself if you just go carquest or another place that sells autobody products and get some red scuff pads. I worked at a bodyshop and took autobody classes.

7/25/09
Motorcycle cop pulls up next to me on UNI and says "Want to race?"
Me- "I don't think you would stand a chance."
Cop says "probably not" and drives off.
slowbubblecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005   #11
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbubblecar
4000 is pretty high for a paint job though. Maybe including doing the jambs, under the hood and everything. The prep work isn't very hard though. I have painted and I think you could do a pretty good job prepping it yourself if you just go carquest or another place that sells autobody products and get some red scuff pads. I worked at a bodyshop and took autobody classes.
Those Red scuff pads you are talking about are called "scotch brights." That is used for removing the clear and "scuffing" up the surface so that sealant will stick to it. 4000 is a LOW estimate for a full color change.

Lowells in edina or keystone in the north burbs is the only place I would buy any sort of body materials. Walmart, napa, autozone.. its all crap brands. And you DEFINITLY get what you pay for with body materials. It might look great at first, but how about through a winter?
Old 08-19-2005   #12
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

For the pads, we used grey for something that only needed clear and red for something that is being repainted. The shop I worked at had 3m ones. I wouldn't use the red unless you would be repainting though. I am pretty sure you could get them just about anywhere. Sherwin Williams in bloomington has good autobody suppleis. That is where my school got everything and I had good luck with their paint here. The Napa in st louis park has them also. I an not sure if there is a different brand of scuff pad for cars other than 3m. I haven't seen any anyways.

7/25/09
Old 08-19-2005   #13
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Quote:
For the pads, we used grey for something that only needed clear and red for something that is being repainted. The shop I worked at had 3m ones. I wouldn't use the red unless you would be repainting though. I am pretty sure you could get them just about anywhere. Sherwin Williams in bloomington has good autobody suppleis. That is where my school got everything and I had good luck with their paint here. The Napa in st louis park has them also. I an not sure if there is a different brand of scuff pad for cars other than 3m. I haven't seen any anyways.
Yea i dont know either. The 3m stuff isnt that expensive and it works perfectly fine. Just make sure to buy a small case, not just a couple. You will go through many of them.
Old 08-20-2005   #14
SpicyOrange

My Dads got a Binks gun, I've been playing with it in the garage painting old cabinets and such, I be willing to paint your car for $500.
SpicyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #15
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

that sounds like a great deal. He would probably be saving himself the 500 and a PITA to do it himself.. If you have just "played with it" that is. He needs a lot of prep work too =/
Old 08-20-2005   #16
SpicyOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpin Dsmstyle
Everyone wants a nice looking car. A lot of people ask me about painting constantly. Thing of it is, it takes time and money to get the job done. Most people cant or arent willing to handle that. Out of all the people that ask me for quotes on DSMstyle and MNsportcompacts, only one car got done and I'm pretty sure he was satisfied with it.
You mean to say every time you mention that you do body/work and paint the next question out of somebodys mouth is how much to paint my car??? Next you are probally gonna say that they tell you Maaco only costs $300 and that you prices are outta wack... Somebodys gotta pay for this Binks No. 7.
SpicyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #17
Jana
Mazda Bitch

You also get what you pay for, and a $300 Maaco paint job is fine for an old car you just want touched up to look a little better. But if you want quality, it's going to cost a couple thousand at least.

When I looked into having my GSX painted two years ago, it was going to cost about 5-6K for the entire car (jams, engine bay, etc). Obviously it was a bit more because I was looking at a red to match all my powder coating (metallic red).

Anyway, just saying that his prices are not "outta wack".
Jana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #18
slowbubblecar
Big Turbo Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyOrange
My Dads got a Binks gun, I've been playing with it in the garage painting old cabinets and such, I be willing to paint your car for $500.
You sure you are ready to paint a car after just painting on old cabintes? Has your dad showed you how to paint. I know I wouldn't even just spray a car for 500 including the jambs and stuff if it was already prepped. It wouldn't be worth the chance of messing up and having to redo it.

7/25/09
Old 08-20-2005   #19
At-Least-It's-An-Evo
At-Least-It's-White-Again

Mario Tetris 2 Champion! Tetris Champion! Tetris 2 Champion!
Drives: 98 iVTEC
Send a message via AIM to At-Least-It's-An-Evo

Quote:
You sure you are ready to paint a car after just painting on old cabintes? Has your dad showed you how to paint. I know I wouldn't even just spray a car for 500 including the jambs and stuff if it was already prepped. It wouldn't be worth the chance of messing up and having to redo it.

He's painted a lot more than just cabinets... like actual real cars.

Done fuckin' with cars but I will snap some photos of yours for now! =)
At-Least-It's-An-Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005   #20
Pimpin Dsmstyle
Br0k3N

Spicey has painted cars Cher? Why wouldn't he mention that in his post? I would be a little afraid of letting someone paint my car that has only sprayed some cabinets " a little bit " lol.

I'm not even saying I want to do this guys car. I don't have time. I was just trying to help him out with a little cost analysis.