MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Brakes / Body / Suspension

Old 10-17-2005   #1
Onefast99gsx

Question Suspension/Steering squeak

Hi guys- I'm having an issue with my GSX. It started squeaking after Saturday test day. It's coming from the left front of the car. It's when i turn the steering wheel from left to right, right to left. It happens in neutral and when i'm driving.

I jacked the car up and took the front wheel off. I started car without the front wheel on and moved the steering wheel. I could barely hear the squeak if at all anymore. I then put the jack under the lower ball joint and lowered the jack to the approximate height of the car as if the wheel was on. Turned the wheels. I could faintly hear the squeak.

I put the tire back on and took the jacks out. Squeak, squeak. I can't really pinpoint it. I rock the tire back and forth and it's solid. Doesn't feel like it's a wheel bearing or anything. Tie rod feels just the same as the passenger side. It's a pretty loud squeak.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Onefast99gsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005   #2
Onefast99gsx

Re: Suspension/Steering squeak

Does this sound like a lower ball joint issue? I was reading elsewhere and there was apparently a recall on 2g's lower balljoint. Any way of testing it? Don't really care to replace something if it isn't broke.
Old 10-17-2005   #3
Onefast99gsx

Well just for the shit of it i WD-40'd the piss out of ever joint, bushing, coil over, etc. on the driver wheel-well area. Put the wheel on, dropped it. Started it and moved wheels left/right and no squeak. I'll have to take it out for a ride and see if it does it. Also, be curious to see if it does it after the wd-40 runs off. If i need the one lower control arm, it's pretty cheap at only $35.00. The other lower control arm that's kind of S shaped is $200. I hope I don't need either. Doesn't appear that just the ball joints themselves are replaceable. I'd be curious to know what this recall is all about though.
Old 10-18-2005   #4
tim

When a ball joint gets old and dried out it will definitely squeak. If you have pin pointed the noise to the ball joint just replace it.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #5
Onefast99gsx

Yeah once i pinpoint it, I will. You can't just replace the ball joint. You have to replace the arms. I want to be certain of what it is. Between the 2 arms, they are $250. Oddly the car only has about 85k miles on it.
Old 10-18-2005   #6
Kracka
R U DTF bro?

Drives: C8 Stingray Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefast99gsx
Does this sound like a lower ball joint issue? I was reading elsewhere and there was apparently a recall on 2g's lower balljoint. Any way of testing it? Don't really care to replace something if it isn't broke.
Call a Mitsu service dept., give them your VIN#, ask if its been done yet. If not, bring the car in for some free work.
Kracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005   #7
Onefast99gsx

Great idea. I'll give Chris (DSMPARTSGURU) a call on this. I'll take just about anything that's free.
Old 10-28-2005   #8
asshanson
immune from paybans

Drives: poorly
Send a message via AIM to asshanson

This happened to my car a little less than a year ago, but I didn't know about the recall. Anyway, I let it go too long and it got worse and worse. Eventually, when I turned out of my driveway one day, the front right of the car collapsed and I couldn't steer. Basically the ball joint just gave out and snapped the control arm when the car fell down. Had to have it towed, cost $500 to fix everything. Luckily I wrote a letter to Chrysler and they fully refunded me. Then I went to my local Jeep dealer to have the other replaced for free.

My advice - fix it for free ASAP. Avoid the hassle of getting reimbursed.
asshanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005   #9
sleepy2lazy

Here's the Recall information by NHTSA.
Although mines a 95, i don't see a difference for 95+

I believe this is the right one, but there's another one in the list.
Here's the link but below is the description of one of them.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ls/results.cfm

Make : MITSUBISHI Model : ECLIPSE Year : 1995
Manufacturer : MITSUBISHI AMERICA
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 00V421001 Mfg's Report Date : DEC 15, 2000
Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 567432
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. IF THE RUBBER BOOTS ON THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION WERE DAMAGED DURING ASSEMBLY, DIRT AND WATER CAN INTRUDE. ALSO, MMC HAS ADDED THE POTENTIAL OF LEAKING MOISTURE, WHICH CAN CAUSE THE BALL STUD TO CORRODE.
Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT TO SEPARATE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH. THIS CAMPAIGN SUPERCEDES MMC'S PREVIOUS SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN, SEE 99V-066.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE LOWER LATERAL ARM BALL JOINT FOR WEAR. BALL JOINTS THAT EXHIBIT WEAR BEYOND THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE REPLACED WITH NEWLY DESIGNED LATERAL ARM BALL JOINTS. BALL JOINTS THAT ARE WITHIN THE ESTABLISHED TOLERANCE WILL BE CLEANED AND A SPECIAL SEALANT WILL BE APPLIED TO PREVENT INTRUSION OF MOISTURE.
Notes:
OWNER NOTIFICATION WILL BE CONDUCTED IN PHASES. THE FIRST PHASE BEGAN APRIL 2, 2001, AND THE FINAL PHASE WILL BE COMPLETED ON SEPTEMBER 3, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT MITSUBISHI AMERICA AT 1-888-MITSU-2001 (1-888-648-7820). ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Check to Request Research. Submit below.
sleepy2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #10
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

shoot, after hearing about your car collapsing, that makes me wonder if i should even drive to work tomorrow... ive been getting a weird vibration/feedback when i turn left, coming from my front right... garrr...
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005   #11
s1ngletracker

Drives: A BMW

what were your symptoms ashanson?
s1ngletracker is offline   Reply With Quote