MitsuStyle MitsuStyle

Go Back   MitsuStyle > Tech > Turbo / Engine / Drivetrain

Old 10-22-2005   #1
thom1301

Gas Mileage

Sorry for the lame post, but I'm curious about what kind of gas mileage people are getting on trips. I drive 95% on the highway (42-mile commute), averaging 70-75 mph, and on my last tank I got 25 mpg. I have a bone-stock '96 Talon TSi AWD. Does that sound like what I should be getting?
thom1301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #2
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!
Re: Gas Mileage

The higest I ever saw with mine on the highway was 29.1mpg. That was in the middle of the night driving out to Michigan.

I average about 24-25mpg lately on the empty country roads on the way into work.

So yeah, I think yours is about average.

Have you done a tune up lately (plugs, wires, air filter, oil filter, pcv valve)? If it has been a long time, do one and see if it increases. And as much as you may think it is hype, economically speaking you should install a K&N air filter. It will save you money in the long run and you will see a slight increase in mileage. You just have to do a tiny bit of work every couple of months or so.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #3
94talonawd

Send a message via MSN to 94talonawd

well, i only get 17-19 mpg and my car is almost all stock. Youre getting 25-26 mpg? I think thats wayyyy better than what i am getting. So, be glad that you are getting 25 mpg. I wish i can get that much.
SAFC-II
---------------
99 Civic D16 - EVO3 16G - Hondata S300 - Xenocron 4bar@21PSI - RC750cc's - Eagles/Vitara - Compcams
12.3@114, 1.81 60ft

-On it's way to 11's....
94talonawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #4
GVR-4579

Send a message via AIM to GVR-4579

depends on how i drive i can get 16 or 25
GVR-4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #5
TheBlizzard

Drives: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to TheBlizzard Send a message via MSN to TheBlizzard

It really depends on how you drive. But on the highway with a 2G awd your mileage is about right. With my 2G that is about what I get as well just cruising with no boosting. With my Laser FWD turbo I have seen mid 30s very regularly. You could do a tune up but I think you are right on track as far as mileage goes.
TheBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #6
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

31mpg on the way to kansas, 34mpg on the way back.
Nash can confirm this, this was on my old 90 tsi awd.
*edit* this was 95% highway. There was some high speed 'excursions' to skew the mileage. I don't remember our average speed, 70-75 I think.
With a few 120+ pulls.

Last edited by niterydr; 10-22-2005 at 07:20 PM..
niterydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #7
94talonawd

Send a message via MSN to 94talonawd

What the hell... why is everyone getting like twice as much mpg as me. My driving is good, im never really in boost mode.
SAFC-II
---------------
99 Civic D16 - EVO3 16G - Hondata S300 - Xenocron 4bar@21PSI - RC750cc's - Eagles/Vitara - Compcams
12.3@114, 1.81 60ft

-On it's way to 11's....
94talonawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005   #8
niterydr
back in the saddle again

24 Hours Rally Champion! 3D Pacman white house edition Champion! 3D Racing - Track 2 Champion! ATV Winter Challenge Champion! Bloody Pingu Champion! WRX Racing 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 5

Drives: 2015 Ram Quad Cab Hemi, 1999 FRC Corvette, 93 Stealth Turbo
Send a message via AIM to niterydr

Walbro 255, 450's, s-afc, aeromotive fpr, and a wideband.
She was leaned out a bit on the highway for crusing . The car also had 3" exhaust, a dead cylinder (90psi in cylinder #1 due to a bad valve job done by a unknown machine shop), act 2600, yoko tires, and a 3 bolt rear end.
That car went 13.4@98mph, 1.70 60' back in...2002? 2003? I don't remember.
You can tune a car for gas mileage if you know what your doing, just like you can tune a car for peak power, again if you know what your doing.
Most dsms average around 23mpg or so, atleast thats why my auto, and this manual im driving currently averaged.
I think the black one I had averaged around the same. But I do 50/50 driving.
Old 10-22-2005   #9
MATCHBX
Any 2 card caller.

Pinball Smash Up Champion!

The mileages that have been given are on the highway. City driving I usually average around 19-20 at the most.

I just filled up after driving back forth to the new house with loads of stuf and got 24mpg. It's all 60mph country roads with nearly no traffic.

Some days you're the dog, some days you're the hydrant.

It's always the second mouse that gets the cheese....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Superjealousfragilemisswithsexualneurosis----John Valby
MATCHBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005   #10
iceminion

Send a message via AIM to iceminion

2Gs are one of the most aerodynamic (sp?) cars ever, I heard that they are in the top 10. I have 2 buddies with 2Gs that get 26 on the freeway.

With my 1G i could draft behind something big, like a moving van, and get just shy of 30mpg, but keeping a close eye on my boost gauge, i was averaging -15mg, without some sort of "snow plow" for the wind, i was doing about -11, and that = about 25mpg for me.

From the LS7 to a geo metro 1.3, they are just glorified or unglorified air pumps, its all about how easily air can come and go through the engine, so open up the air intake, remove a foglight and make a sudo-ram air setup to keep positive pressure on the intake-turbo side of the engine. Have a completely non-restrictive exhaust (3" all the way back, no cat, plus a straight through muffler), the turbo provides all the back pressure your 4g63t will ever need.

Run full synthetic oil, get a wheel alignment, get rims that dont act like resistance fans on stationary exercise bikes (on a toyota prius, the rims are basically flat, so there is no resistance there). Also when looking at wheels, ultra wide tires have more road resistance then skinny stock dsm ones. another thing: overinflating your tires a little does help with gas mileage, but at the cost of uneven ware on the tire (never exceed 44psi).

Have your wheel bearings inspected, grease everything up real good. For the love of god, make sure your calipers are not locked up (if you touch your rim at the end of a long drive and its HOT, then you need a brake job).

But, all things being equal, you have a DSM, its gonna cost an arm and a leg, and a good part of your soul. With that in mind, 25mpg is nothing to cry about, on TV there is a commercial for the 300C "...with a fuel efficent v8 engine*" *=18/25......so some people would consider your dsm efficent already!!!!

and besides, in a year or so when china stops and consumes all shipment of oil from the middle east, gas will be about $574/gal, so we will all be walking anyways....or converting our dsms to run off of corn or something, who cares, WWIII is right around the corner so who cares? Have fun while you still can...I need a beer

Last edited by iceminion; 10-26-2005 at 04:21 PM..
iceminion is offline   Reply With Quote